In the live projects, the database table manipulations are performed in a menu-navigated manor.
That means to offer complete manipulations on a table, you supposed to maintain 4 options.
“Crystal Reports” is known as a reporting tool.
This is used for development of database reports in the projects.
A database report displays the database data, in a summary manner.
A database report is ready to print. The report file extension is “.rpt”.
That can be exported to “Excel” / “HTML” etc., formats.
Generally, in every live project, the data entered by the data entry operators, should be displayed to the administrator in a “Report” format. That can be called as a “Database Report”.
“Crystal Reports” are developed by “Seagate Corporation”, and has a strong integration with Visual Studio.
Expand the database name and select the table name, that you want. (Ex: students).
Click on “>” button to add the selected table into the right side list.
Click on “Next”.
Expand the table name. Then the list of columns will be displayed.
Now you have to add the require column(s), into the right side list, which you want to display in the crystal report.
To add all the columns, click on “>>” button. To add the columns one-by-one, select the column first and click on “>” button.
Click on “Next”.
Select the grouping column, based on which you want to group-up the data (optional). If you don’t want to group the data, simply leave it blank.
Click on “Finish”.
Then the report wizard will be completed and the report will be generated automatically.
The report will be displayed in the design view. This can be called as “Report Design View”.
Then the report file will be added into the “Solution Explorer”. Ex: studentsreport.rpt
The “Report Design View” offers to change the design of the report.
The report design view contains 5 sections like:
• Report Header: This section contains the objects that are to be displayed only at the top of the report.
• Page Header: This section contains the objects that are to be displayed at the top of each page.
• Details: This section contains the objects that are to be repeated for each row of the database table. Generally, it displays the actual data values.
• Report Footer: This section contains the objects that are to be displayed at the bottom of the report.
• Page Footer: This section contains the objects that are to be displayed at the bottom of each page.
To change any font / border / alignment / colors / paragraph of the objects, right click on the require object and choose the “Format Object” option.